Thursday, June 11, 2009

Puli Sevai / Tangy Tamarind Rice Noodles

Hi everyone, I am back (kind of!). For those who sent me mail or left scrap wondering where the heck i was, i am here and alive :-) Thank you for checking on me. It was way too hectic in may, both at work and at home. I keep checking on all your recipes in my reader whenever i get a chance, but i could not leave any comments nor could i post anything in my own blog. I usually blog or blog-hop after my kids goto sleep. I could not do it as i was extremely tired and i tried to post something few times before their bedtime, but everytime my little one sees me in front of the pc, he squeezes himself between me and the pc and asks for hai potayo (Wiggles Hot Potato) or the big comfy couch and both the songs keep ringing in my ears all day that i am scared i might sing it out loud at work one day!! :D

I will be out next week, so no blogging or blog-hopping again for another week. Are you thinking i'm nuts for coming out of a break to say i'll be taking another break? :-) But, before i go into the silent mode again, i'll post a yummy, quick and easy recipe..




Ingredients :

Instant Sevai Mix or Rice noodles - 250 gms (I always use 777 brand)

Red chillies - 3

Tamarind paste - 1/2 spoon

Turmeric powder - a pinch or two

Mustard seeds, Urad daal, Channa daal, Curry leaves and Hing for seasoning

Salt to taste

A handful of roasted peanuts and Cilantro - for garnishing

Method :

Boil water in a large pan. Add the Instant sevai or Rice noodles in the boiling water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain the water and chop the noodles with kitchen scissors. In a pan heat little oil, pop mustard seeds, add turmeric powder, urad daal, channa daal, chillies, curry leaves and fry till the daals are golden brown. Add some water (approx. quarter cup) to the tamarind paste, dilute it and add this tamarind water let it boil till the raw smell goes and it thickens. Now, turn off the stove and Add the boiled noodles and salt. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro and roasted peanuts.

Sending this to MM:Ravishing Rice hosted by Nags and started by Meeta.

See you all soon!

31 comments:

Vani said...

Quick and interesting too

Rush said...

i remeber snatching my friends tiffin whenevr she had sevai in it..love it!!

Ann said...

Oh yumm! Puli Sevai :) I love this.It looks so good.

Padma said...

Very yummy .... love this very much .... it always had a place in my lunch box back home... thanks for reminding :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Hey sweetie..back n off too..:)..we understand dear..I loved the dish..:)
..n did I tell u,u looks so pretty in that pic with ur dad?..:)

ARUNA said...

this is my favourite tiffin.....Yumm Vidya!

Unknown said...

Vanga madam vanga ;)

Tamarind sevai..yum yum..ippo poi puli ya kanla katriye.....

kittymatti said...

Welcome back!! Puli ssevai sooooper!

chef and her kitchen said...

Quick one and yummy too.i love tanginess in anything..

Vibaas said...

thanks all :)

Rams, nee inga vaa onakku ellam panni tharen.

Varsha, thanks and blush :D

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Its our fav vibaas...send me that bowl ...looks tempting.

Priya Suresh said...

Glad to see ur post after a long Dear..quick and delicious sevai, looks fabulous:)

veena said...

Hi da..
Very delicious noodles..Never tried this version..Sounds interesting

Sanghi said...

Yummy rice..! WIll try out!

Finla said...

I want to thave that bowl. Reminds me of home.

Chitra said...

I will search for this 777 brand here..sevai looks too good.I love puli sevai made by my MIL..Will try with this readymade one!!Thanks for sharing:)

Gita Jaishankar said...

Thats a very tempting dish! Take care dear :)

Pooja said...

Really appreciate the dedication you have for your blog Vibaas..inspite of not having time you have posted! Enjoy your break :)
The tangy tamarind noodles looks delicious. Never heard of the brand yet!

Vijitha said...

Nice yummy post!my fav tiffin.:-)

Pooja said...

looking delicious vibaas..

Uma said...

good to see you back Vibaas! But taking a break again? That's ok, everyone needs a break, right? Take care.

Sevai looks so good and yummy :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

delicious tangy sevai.. come back to blogging world soon..regular a post pannu :)

chef and her kitchen said...

Hey vibaas,regarding ur query for Gojju Avalakki you can use ready made sambar powder too in this,try to adjust the taste according to your requirement.Do not add much in the beginning.

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Yummy pulisevai.I luv any thing with tamarind.

Yasmeen said...

simple and delicious sevia.My boy was also wiggle crazy for quite some time:)

Usha said...

Simple, quick and yum.... perfect !

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Tempting sevai Vibaas... Anyways its so nice to see you once in a while amidst your work and home!!!

kittymatti said...

visit my blog and pick up yr award:)

AnuSriram said...

Looks lovely! Nice recipe..

Preety said...

my all time fav..love the taste of tamarind in anything

Recipeswap said...

This is one of my favs.....yum yum!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs