Now moving on to the recipes...
South Indian Curry Powder - A versatile powder :
This is another big help in the kitchen for me. I grind and keep this powder in stock and it helps in preparing easier versions of some authentic recipes like Rasavangi and Bisibela. Here are some of the recipes that i use this in :
- This is used as curry powder for the following vegetables - Potato, Seppankizhangu (Colocasia), Yam ( Suran/Senaikizhanghu), Eggplant and Okra.
- This is used to make stuffed eggplant and stuffed okra.
- This can be used to make quick and easy Bisibela
- This is used to make stuffed eggplant sambar.
- This can be used to make quick and easy rasavangi.
- This can be added to Sundal. You gotto to try this to believe how yummy it is! Kids will ask for more :)
Now to the recipe :
Channadaal - 1 cup
Urad daal - 1 cup
Coriander seeds (Dhaniya) - 1 cup
Red chillies - 1 cup
Rice - a handful
Hing - 1 or 2 pinches
Saute everything in little oil till the daals are golden brown. Let it cool. Dry grind and store in air tight container.
Stuffed eggplant Sambar :
I learnt this from my mil. This is tangy like vethakuzhambu. I like this so much that i can inhale it :-) My husband doesn't like eggplants that much..so i get more ;-) Teehee! :)
Tamarind - Lemon size
Multipurpose Powder - 5, 6 spoons
Small eggplants - 8
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds, curryleaves and hing for seasoning
Add required salt to the multipurpose powder and mix well.
Slit the eggplants crosswire. Do not cut it completely. Stuff it with multipurpose powder
Apply couple of drops of oil on each eggplant and microwave for 4 minutes or till they are tender.
Now, take little oil in a non stick pan and add these cooked eggplants. Add 2 more spoons of multipurpose powder, salt, tamerind water and let it cook till it starts to thicken. Cook till it reaches the soupy consistency. Add some more salt if required.
It thickens fast since we have added rice in the multipurpose powder.
Tastes good with Rice.
Sending this to Sanghi's FIL-Brinjal Event