Monday, August 18, 2008

Appam for Avani Avittam and a Tag

We make vadai and appam for Avani avittam. My kids loved both vadai and appam.
My first kiddo asked me if appam is an Indian doughnut without the hole :-) I guess then we call vadai the indian doughnut without the sugar ;-) or spicy doughnuts ... :-)

I will post the recipe for urad daal vadai (Vada) later. Most people use rice flour to make appams. My mom uses wheat flour and it tastes delicious. My dad loves this too...







Here's the recipe for my mom's version of Appam :
Ingredients :
Jaggery - 2 cups
Wheat flour - 1.5 cups
Elaichi powder - a pinch
Rice flour - 2 spoons






Method :

Heat jaggery with little water till it melts. Reduce the heat and add wheat flour, riceflour and elaichi (keep it mixed already) slowly and stir continuously to avoid lumps. Keep stirring till it reaches dosa batter consistency. Heat oil and drop this batter using a ladle or a big spoon and fry till they are done.

Mine were looking fluffier when i took it off the oil, but i pressed them to get the excess oil out and they became flat.

Later when i called my mil, she said that i could make it using the Kuzhipaniyaram vessel. I am going to try it again later as it is healthier.

Sending this recipe to Sweet Series at http://www.paajaka.com/

And now to the tag :


Lubna has tagged me for "7 Facts about me"


The rules of the tag are:
(a) List these rules on your blog. (b) Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog. (c) Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.

Here are the 7 facts about me :

WORK : Working as a BSA in a Manufacturing Company.


EDUCATION : Masters in Computer Applications

FRIENDSHIP : I have read somewhere that "Friendship is talking to your best friend without words" and i am blessed to have such friends and i also have to mention i have great friends within my family.

RELATIONSHIP : Again a quote : "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." That's how a good relationship should be.

INTERNET : I will go mad without Internet :-)

FITNESS : Not a fitness freak. I dont exercise regularly, but try to make healthy choices when it comes to food.

DREAMS : I am big time Day dreamer :-) My current dream is to go back to india for good and settle down in my dream house...



I tag Vidhya, Madhuram, Srivalli, Aparna, Shreya, Illatharasi, Rekha.

5 comments:

Beyond Curries said...

Nice recipe Vidya. Actually I was also thinking of trying it in the paniyaram vessel.

I'll take up the tag shortly.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

We also make appam and parippu vadai for Avani Avittam, except we are'nt celebrating this year.
Thanks for tagging me. I have done this meme before, though.:)

Unknown said...

hi thanks a lot for visiting my blog i am so sorry i am in a vacation so after i come back only i will tag your tag and you have a nice blog thanks a lot and keep visiting my blog

lubnakarim06 said...

One of my friend bought it from her native. I tasted it. I liked it a lot. Recipe looks easy to make. Iam gonna try this out soon.

Indian Khana said...

Appam looks gud ..and your recipes looks easy to make...I hav never tried making one appam as such ;)...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs