Saturday, August 16, 2008

Tamarind Poha / Puli Aval


This is another recipe that every one likes in our house. My mom used to make it with thick poha/aval. I tried it with the thin poha and it came out well. Honestly, i don't know how my mom makes, but i tried it this way and it was good and tasted close to what my mom makes. Only difference is i used green chillies and i know for sure that my mom uses red chillies.


Ingredients :


Aval / Poha - 2 cups
Tamarind concentrate - 1/2 spoon mixed in 1/4 cup of water
Salt to taste
Red chillies / Green chillies - 3 or 4
Cilantro to garnish
Mustard seeds, urad daal, hing and channa daal for seasoning.
Turmeric powder - a pinch

Method :

Wash poha in water and let it sit. If it is thick poha, soak it for 15 minutes.
In a pan take little oil, pop mustard seeds, add turmeric powder, urad daal, channa daal, chillies, curry leaves and fry till the daals are golden brown. Add tamarind water and let it boil. Add the poha and add salt and saute till done. Garnish with cilantro. You can also add roasted chopped peanuts and/or cashews.

2 comments:

Mansi said...

my husband loves this! looks great vibaas:) thanks for visiting my site!

Anonymous said...

hey Vibass, Cant thank you enough for this recipe. My sisters ILs were visiting me in the US and I have to cook breakfast after a long time. I almost forgot breakfast recipes and they are kannadigas while am a tamilian. Your tamarind poha totally saved me and they told me its better than a kannadiga poha. The best part about the poha is I didnt have to slog in the kitchen. :) Lavs

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs